My version of the
F. G. Rayer Superhet
This set was the feature article in the October 1968 edition of
the Radio Constructor Magazine in the UK. You can find the
complete article online at http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/valvesuperhet/
Here's the schematic
I made a few changes to suit my parts bin. One change was
to use a 6AQ5 as the audio output tube. My power supply is using
one of the little $2.99 xfmrs that were available at Electronics
Goldmine with a bridge rectifier and about 150 volts out.
The only other significant change I made was to use a single
toroid core for the antenna and oscillator circuits and tapped it for 3
band coverage. My tuning cap is a plain 2-gang type from an old
AA5. There's a front panel control for antenna peaking so there
are no tracking issues or headaches using this capacitor at this
range. I also used a small variable cap of a few pf as a fine
The tuning range is 3-22 Mhz in three overlapping bands. Image
rejection is quite good with the front panel control. No
complaints about sensitivity either.
There's a story about how I ended up with this rather unorthodox
physical layout. I had originally intended to build this set into
a cabinet that I built for it and it did not fit conveniently or
correctly. Someday I'll build a new little box for it.
This is a fun little radio for SWLing. Has
plenty of volume for driving a speaker and is glitch-free in operation.
-WX4A Sparkbench, Mar. 2006
Back to the Sparkbench Homebrew Page